Principles: Unity, Love and Respect
Orientation: Women of all ethnicities
Goals: Scholarly excellence, empowerment of Latinas and the universal woman, cultural and political awareness, and community activism.
- Founded at Kean University, in NJ in December of 1975.
- Lambda Theta Alpha was the first sorority ever created to cater towards the needs of Latinas in the nation.
- The purpose of the organization is to create a support group for Latinas in higher education, and unite the Latino community on campus.
- Lambda Theta Alpha was established as an academic sorority.
- LTA is not an exclusionary organization.
- The LTA National Philanthropy is St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
- Lambda Theta Alpha has a "call", a hand-sign, and performs traditional salutes, chants, and partywalks (strolls).
- Lambda Theta Alpha is a member of the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO).
- Lambda Theta Alpha is a fully insured organization which covers all of its chapters.
- Each chapter of Lambda Theta Alpha is recognized by its respective institution. Sisters at each chapter enjoy complete participation in campus activities.
- Lambda Theta Alpha has established Alumnae Chapters.
- Lambda Theta Alpha has established Graduate Chapters.
- Lambda Theta Alpha has established chapters throughout New Jersey, Connecticut, Puerto Rico, New York, Maryland, Florida, California, Pennsylvania, Texas, Arizona, Michigan, Illinois, Virginia, Tennessee, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Georgia, and Washington.
- Lambda Theta Alpha is proud to be recognized as the 2000-2001, 2001-2002, & 2004-2005, 2009-2010, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014 recipient of the Sorority of the Year award from NALFO and Latinogreeks.com.